Prompts:
1. Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood.
Judy: The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get. The Christmas I was eight years old, I did not get a doll. Now, I wasn't much of a doll child. I much rather play outside then with dolls. However, I remember feeling bad about not getting a doll while each of my three little sisters did get one. I loved the Drowsy doll that I think Robin got and I spend most of the day playing with it and afterwards whenever I wanted it (as I remember.) Years later, I talked to my mom about it and she can remember the whole thing very well. She had struggled to decide whether to get me a doll or not, but decided that I didn't really play with them (like I mentioned) so they had decided against it. Then she had felt bad because she had seen me love the doll so much and play with it all day. By my birthday in July, I was definitely out of the doll phase and on to the Barbie/Tammy dolls. I didn't ever have a Barbie doll because my mom thought they were too "sexualized" so Tammy dolls were more balanced shall we say.
2. What is a book that meant something to you as a child and why?
Judy: Two books which are actually on my top 14 books of all time--
1. Heidi- I read it when I was in third grade and it was the first book that made me cry when I read it.
2. Secret Garden- I picked this book out of the school library because I liked to read mysteries and it sounded like a mystery. I read lots of Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew at that time, but no new ones were in the library so I was just searching the shelves. Secret Garden sounded like a mystery so I checked it out. I loved the book, but I remember thinking at the end that this was a different type of book than I had read before--like maybe it was famous or "real" literature. It wasn't until a few years later than I learned that it really was famous and real literature.
3. Tell a memory involving a car.
Judy: A picture is worth a thousand words---



No comments:
Post a Comment