Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Up-date on the "In-laws"

As part of this first year of our extended family blog, we wanted to spot light all of our great in-laws.  We are glad to have them in our family,

Uncle Gary: Gary was the oldest in his family of four children and the only boy. He was raised for most of his life in Syracuse, Utah.  He met Aunt Judy on the first day of freshman orientation and they got married four and ½ years later.  Inbetween time, he served an LDS mission to Hong Kong.  He currently works out of our home for Hewlett-Packard as a system analyst.

Color:  blue
Food (at home):  Meatballs and rice
Food (eating out):  Chinese buffet  
Movie:  Fiddler on the Roof
TV show:  MASH
Sport (to play):  bowling
 Professional/college sport teams:  BYU
Dessert/snack food:  M&Ms
Vacation spot:  cruises
Something you are planning to do this year (before your next birthday):  Go to Hawaii
Church calling:  Gary is currently serving as a Primary teacher, Webelo leader (10 year old boys in Cub Scouts), and Stake Employment Specialist.

Aunt Lea: (I will add her information when I get it.)


Lea with Tillie at the Giberson 2009 Reunion
Aunt Andrea: (ditto)


Andrea must hid from cameras as this is the only picture I can find in my picture files.  I will try to add some other ones as I get them.
Uncle Lance:
He is there in the backrow (2010)

Lance was born in Salt Lake City and grew up in Murray and South Jordan, Utah. He's the 2nd of 5 children. He served a mission to Spain and has lived in Israel, plus has visited a bunch of countries on business, like Germany, Chile, Brazil, and the Congo.

In 1982 he married into the Giberson family. (Did I mention he's really smart?) He and Aunt Valerie were married in the Jordan River temple on a windy winter day in February. Not only is Uncle Lance smart, but he's an amazing husband. (I have that on good authority!)

He attended BYU and ultimately graduated from Utah State University with a degree in accounting.

                                      Lance and Valerie at the Giberson 2009 Reunion

Here are his favorites:

Color: Purple
Food: Chinese, Seafood
Movie: Groundhog day, Inception, The Ultimate Gift
TV Show: Sports, Movies
Sport: Basketball, Tennis
Professional Sport Teams: Jazz, Diamondbacks
College Teams: BYU, Utah State
Snack Food: Bananas
Vacation Spot: High Uintah, Grand Tetons
Game: Settlers of Zarahemla, Civilization, Chess
Pets: I used to have a dog -- outside dog
Something he is planning to do this year (before his next birthday): Buy a Ranch, reduce debt
Current Church Calling: Ward Mission Leader
Job: Manager, Global Business Continuity, Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold, Inc.
Interests and Hobbies: Yardwork, fixing cars, reading, collecting chess sets from around the world.
Favorite Authors: Valerie Ipson, Grisham, Michener, Louis LaAmour

Aunt Linda:

Family trip to Germany
Color:  I am partial to blues, but like lots of color.  I like combining colors for quilts.
Food (at home):  I found this really great (and fattening) recipe out of the BYU magazine for tomato parmesan soup in the crock pot.  I will attach a copy.
Food (eating out):  I'm not picky, but a good tex-mex with cheese and definitely rice and beans on the side.
Movie:  How can I pick just one?  serious/period:  Pride and Prejudice;  sci-fi/comedy:  Galaxy Quest;  Action/fantasy:  Willow;  sci-fi/adventure:  Independence Day, Dr. Who
TV show:  Psych  
Sport (to play):  volleyball; I took up basketball about 2 years ago and really enjoy it also.
Professional/college sport teams:  BYU;  Used to be a Mavericks fan, but I'm pretty disgusted by the whole NBA stand-off this season.
Dessert/snack food:  too many to choose from as I pretty much enjoy anything sweet.  Chocolate is always a favorite.  For Thanksgiving this year we just had our little family so I bought 3 smallish casserole dishes that fit about half of what a 9 1/2" pie plate would.  I made three small pies: apple, pumpkin and pecan. 
Vacation spot:  Somewhere with some hiking, but nothing too serious that you actually have to train for.

Katie and Linda at the last reunion
Something you are planning to do this year (before your next birthday):  Get some of those new-fangled running shoes and learn how to run "bare foot", so I can be ready for the race this summer at the reunion.
Church calling (not sure if this means current calling or favorite!):  I am currently serving as counselor in the ward Primary presidency.  The children are so fun/funny.  I pretty much like the calling I have at the time.
Giberson memory:  My first time meeting the family was when Rick and I were dating.  We drove down to Amarillo at Christmas break and I received my first introduction to playing "real" games (not UNO or Yahtzee for example).

Aunt Sandy:

Color: Black
Food (at home):  Scott’s Rogo  (a shout out for a Giberson traditional dish!!!)
Food (eating out):  Mexican food
Movie:    Glory   
TV show:      Dancing with the Stars    
Sport (to play):        Foosball
Professional/college sport teams:    Steelers/Lakers/Longhorns
Dessert/snack food:  Pecan pie/Celery and ranch dressing  (not necessarily at the same time)
Vacation spot:   Toss up between LA and NYC 
Something you are planning to do this year (before your next birthday):  Take a vacation  (15th anniversary is coming up as is the Giberson family reunion!)
Giberson memory:  Fondly remembers our First trip to Dallas to meet family for Thanksgiving.  Hanging out at Gary and Judy’s place.  Ashley hanging out with Tosha for the first time.  Remembers holding Tana as a baby.  The second one is our first trip to Amarillo with Scotty.  Taking pictures with Grandpa holding Scotty for the first time … a cherished memory!

No comments:

#52 Stories- Week Four

 Prompts: 1.  Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood. Judy:  The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get...