Thursday, June 2, 2011

HANDMADE=Grandma

***My dad suggested I put this post from my blog on this one as well. Even though about half of you already got it emailed to you today...but he's right, this would be a nice addition to our Giberiginal blog! And my first here!***

I found out about the Gussy Sews blo
g from a friend who suggested I enter a giveaway for a new Singer sewing machine that was being featured. You know, cause I'm an expert seamstress! Ha! I honestly just sewed something for the first time in my life in May at a Singer House Party a friend was hosting. Anyhow, I started reading the blog and seriously was inspired by it! So, when she mentioned she was doing this Inspiration Worskshop, I thought...why not? So each Thursday (for how long, I don't remember) I'm going to be posting on a different prompt.


Week 1: HANDMADE
Handmade = Grandma.

Grandma & I holding up my "12th Birthday Quilt", Jan. 1992

Grandma loved to create---blankets, quilts, clothes, etc...even stories and poems. She could make anything! I remember when she made clothes for my Barbies from her scraps and the time she made me & Barbie matching jumpers! I would say quilts were her specialty. I know we received many, and I wish I still had them all.



"Crackers" & me, 1983


But my favorite handmade by Grandma item has to be my clown "Crackers" that she made for my 3rd birthday. Besides one lost pom pom from his foot, he was in perfect condition for over 20 years. WAS until my husband and I got a puppy and he found "Crackers" one day. But he was very loved, and still is. I will admit that even as an adult I've hugged this clown and cried, thinking of Grandma or just for comfort during a rough time. It reminds me of her--her smile, her laugh, her creativity and generosity. Simply just the great person she was. Even though she passed when I was 15, she inspires me every day.

6 comments:

Todd said...

Great post, Lisa. I notice you are currently reading 'The Book Thief'. I just finished that book a few months ago. I loved it.

Judy said...

(Judy) Awesome, Lisa...and Todd is right. It does belong on giberiginal. Sewing and creating are certainly important parts of my mom's life. I remember Mom telling me once that sewing was relaxing to her. I never got that. I can break into a cold sweat just thinking about sewing on my sewing machine. Jena wants to learn to do a quilt this summer for a Personal Progress goal so I will be facing that fear while she and I make a quilt.

And I will have to check out "The Book Thief". You have read the "Hunger Games" set, right?

Todd said...

I have read the Hunger Games series.

MINI SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't read the series yet and you plan to, don't read my notes below.

I thought book one was the best. I had figured out the ending to book three.

At the end of book one the reader is needing a resolution to the relationship between Katniss, Peeta, and Gayle and to see how Katniss brings down Capitol. But book two doesn't really do anything about that. The relationship aspects stay flat and Katniss is thrown back into another Hunger Games. But this Hunger Games doesn't have the same tension and is more contrived. That's my take.

The Neerings Family said...

I admit I am having a hard time getting into "The Book Thief." I opened it May 1st and am probably not 20pgs in. Not because I don't think I can get into it, but May was a crazy month with preschool graduation/preschool closing, etc. I would open it up after everyone else was asleep, and I'd pass out soon after. I need to get back into my goal of 2 books/month this month!

I did really enjoy "The Hunger Games", I kept wanting to read and read! I love when I find a book like that. Maybe part of it for me was because it'd been so long since I read a YA/Children's Lit selection. Which is opposite of when I was teaching full time--I think it had been YEARS and YEARS since I read any "adult" books. Now it's opposite and I feel so out of YA/Children's Lit, which is my fave!

Judy said...

(Judy) I agree with you Todd about the series, although I had to read all three to know how it all worked out. The first book was the best.

Valerie Ipson said...

I love Hunger Games and enjoyed every single book in the series, even no. 3 despite the many around here who say they were "disappointed" by it.

I tried The Book Thief, but couldn't get into it. I'm going to try again because of the shear numbers of people who tell me how amazing it is.

If anyone is looking for a great book, I recommend Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Loved your post, Lisa!!!

#52 Stories- Week Four

 Prompts: 1.  Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood. Judy:  The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get...