Sunday, June 19, 2011

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!

We love you, Dad!!! Here's a couple of messages from your kids...

Hey Dad,

Happy Father's Day and Happy Birthday.

I have always been grateful for having good parents. I have fond memories of growing up in a happy home, surrounded by others who could have fun together. One of my great enjoyments in life has been playing sports of all kinds. I've always traced this back to when I would watch baseball with you sometimes, and despite being a skinny little kid, translating that interest into ability by joining others in the neighborhood who were into sports as well.

I know as a family we would attract attention simply because there were eight kids in the family, but there was more than that. We were part of a family whose parents were dedicated and involved, and it made a difference. Thanks for everything.

Todd

Dad,

Happy Father's and Birth Day!

As I've watched the US Open and the College World Series this weekend on TV, I reflected back on the many, many games and sporting events that I watched on the TV next to you over the years. Football, baseball, basketball, tennis, some golf, auto racing, horse racing, boxing and Olympics. More specifically ... the Jim McMahon hail mary pass, the Celtics vs Lakers series in the 80s, the Cowboys vs Steelers super bowls, the Danny Ainge shot vs Notre Dame, the Kurt Gibson performance for the Dodgers in the World Series, the last triple crown winner in Horse Racing, Muhammad Ali fights (back when shown on free TV), the Borg vs Connors battles at Wimbledon, later the Evert Lloyd vs Navritalova battles at Wimbledon ... and many more. We watched it all.

With or without trying, you taught important life lessons through these experiences: the thrill of competition, the importance of striving towards personal goals, the importance of team, the value of individual effort, respect for others, loyalty, respect for history, overcoming obstacles, appreciation for excellence, among others. You taught these same lessons to me in other ways, including during family night lessons, but I cherish the memories of sitting around the TV (on our L-shaped sofa that seemed so big to me when we first got it) and watching the ballgame with you, listening to you cheer outwardly, watching you sit on the edge of the sofa (or get up an pace around) during the particularly tense moments, and reacting with true emotion either favorably or not when the final buzzer sounded or horn blew. Through it all though, I remember you celebrating the performance and the effort even if your team didn't carry home the trophy. As with other parts of your life, you appreciated those who did things the right way and did them well.

For those special memories around the TV and the life lessons that came with it, I thank you, Dad. I love you.

Happy Fathers and Birth Day!

Scott

Dad -- Happy Father's Day! (And Happy Birthday while you are at it!) While

you are reading this message, Linda and I are off on an adventure to
celebrate our 20th anniversary. On Sunday we will be in Cusco, Peru. A
couple of days later and we will be at Machu Picchu. So will be hard to call
you on Father's Day, and I am recording this note in advance. Thad had to
sing me the Primary's Father's Day song early since I won't be with him
either this Father's Day.

Thanks for your great example and occasional important guidance over the
years. All that I have of joy in life is what I have built on the foundation
and pattern that you helped teach, establish and demonstrate.

Barring coups, rebellions or mishaps, we will be back in the states the
Saturday after Father's Day. Look for some good pictures to come soon.

Love,
Rick and Linda

[SORRY, RICK'S MESSAGE IS POSTING THIS WAY. IT APPEARS CORRECT IN THE PREVIEW, SO I'M NOT SURE HOW TO FIX IT!]

Happy Father's Day! Now my whole ward knows that my dad taught me to love science, enjoy the theater, and try new things. They also know that you can't make car repairs. I think it is the first talk that I have ever given on Father's Day.
I am so grateful for your example to me throughout my life. I was lucky to be the first in our family. I have great memories of watching you play softball at the park in Richland, going to Giants baseball games in Candlestick Park, working together on Youth Conference in Texas, and some of our funny Family Nights. And of course, playing games of all kinds.....
Have a special day.

Love, Judy


Hey, Dad!

I love you and hope you are enjoying your day (and b-day weekend!). What I remember most is your dedication to church callings (always a meeting to go to!) and to the gospel. I remember watching the many church productions you were involved in and participating in some of them when I was old enough. I remember the Family Night Phantom and FHE Theater. I remember camping and always playing games. I remember you always treating mom with love and respect. Through all of these things and more I have learned the things that make me who I am today.

Love, Valerie



1 comment:

Grandpa said...

It is I who am in awe of what you all have become, and of course gratefully acknowledge that it was very largely your mother's doing!

#52 Stories- Week Four

 Prompts: 1.  Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood. Judy:  The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get...