Thursday, April 12, 2012

Red hair and Genealogy

As mentioned in my "Three Mothers" biography, I didn't include everything I even thought of, some things left out deliberately, others just "missed" at the time, or not considered to add much.  Recently I've thought of something from my childhood (well teen years, most likely 13) that maybe of passing interest.  What triggered this was the notice recently that Valerie was getting some of the Ollie genealogy completed in the temple.  Now, I don't really know if Harry (or his progenators) had red hair or not, but the 13 year old episode allude to was this:

My mother's latest husband and the two of us (Mom and I) had gone up from San Diego to someplace near Long Beach or LA.  Anyway, (side note) he had taken me out in a motor launch to a small ??? (not sure what to call it) but we stood on this thing in the middle of this bay and fished.  (My kids will know I am NOT a fisherman).  But this was kind of fun, in that "he" baited my hook and I tossed it in and almost immediately pulled up a small fish, I have no idea after all these years what kind.  We were there for not more than 30 minutes and pulled in several fish.  But now to the point of my story.  Somehow on this same trip, we met a boy who had to of been but one or two years at most my junior and who could well have passed as my twin!  Reflecting on it after all these years I wonder if somehow Mom knew that Harry was going to be up there and this young boy was his son?  Pure speculation on my part but perhaps it makes interesting reading to my children.

2 comments:

Todd said...

I did a quick look on FamilySearch for anyone with the last name Ollie born in the 1930's timeframe.

There is one entry of interest: That of a little girl in Florida named Lena Ruth Ollie who was born 2 April 1936 and died four days later. Her parents are listed as H. H. Ollie and Ada Scott. I remember from some time ago seeing a divorce record from Harry and Ada, which I found again on FamilySearch -- Harry Hollis Ollie and Ada Ollie divorce finalized in 1942 in Escambia County Florida (Pensacola area).

Todd said...

Pensacola is home to a large Naval Air station, for those aware of Harry's connection to the Navy and ships.

I was looking to see if there was anyone readily seen that might be the unknown possible half brother whom Dad visited during the fishing trip.

#52 Stories- Week Four

 Prompts: 1.  Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood. Judy:  The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get...