(This is a reprint of a post I did in 2013 written on Memorial day of that year.)
I know it is no longer Mother's Day. Although my plan for this post pre-dated Mother's Day this year, timing never worked for me to actually sit down and write it. It takes a quiet time with a few less demands pulling on me from my house, my life, and even my computer. Memorial Day this year turned out to be the moment (for at least right now). Now this is actually just a post for me and my mom. You are welcome to read it but it is long and specific for her.
After spending some time at the cemetery yesterday with Gary and his family, I am also in that mood of gratitude for those who had gone before--certainty my mom and others that I know but also for all those who have served and died for our country to provide and protect those precious freedoms we enjoy. Our neighborhood is filled today with flags flying in tribute to those men and women.
Back to my mom (or Grandma Giberson to my children):
Like all moms, my mom worked hard for our family, She cooked (which she didn't like), she cleaned (which was a huge undertaking with 8 kids), she sewed most of our clothes when I was young, and she managed the organization of 8 kids, one husband, and demanding Church assignments for both of them. She was extraordinary as a woman. She made life happy for us, she loved flowers, she loved books and music, she kept a journal. She was a friend to all and I never remember her saying bad things about anyone. She was always willing to extend the benefit of the doubt. Most of all she loved God and understood her place with him. I remember six months after she had a life saving heart transplant hearing her stand and bear her testimony and saying, "I have been so blessed in my life. I have not had many of the difficult trials which others deal with." I actually didn't think anything about it until the next sister stood up and said something to the affect that if Eileen didn't think 10 years of congestive heart failure and being away from her family for four months for a heart transplant was a trial, we all better stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get busy. That was my mom. Her impact on all who knew her was upbeat, positive, and loving. I saw a quote which fit her recently. It goes something like this: Don't live your life so that everyone knows you're here. Live it so that they will miss you when you are gone. That fits her well. She is missed, in some ways more now than right after she died. It has been over 18 years (now 25 years).
But this post isn't really about my mom (although it is good to put some pictures of her in here for future generations), but it is about the "traces of her" which I have found physically within my own house. I have noticed over the years how many of the things I choose for my house are related in some way to my mother. They remind me of her, they remind me of home, and they remind me of mothering and love. Some are possessions of hers, some are things I did on purpose because of her and others were just accidents.................but whatever the reasons I found her touch throughout my house where she has never been and it is a reflection of the major influence she had as my mom in making me who I am today (even though in many ways I am included in the group of siblings who "take after my dad the most).
Traces----
I love my mom and just like my home, my heart and mind are filled with her memory. I so wish that my children could have known her and loved her personally, too. She loved them so much and prayed for them. She died before Jena was born, but I feel a calm peace that she knew and loved Jena before we did.
After spending some time at the cemetery yesterday with Gary and his family, I am also in that mood of gratitude for those who had gone before--certainty my mom and others that I know but also for all those who have served and died for our country to provide and protect those precious freedoms we enjoy. Our neighborhood is filled today with flags flying in tribute to those men and women.
Back to my mom (or Grandma Giberson to my children):
![]() |
| Eileen Jane Own Giberson My mom at our first house in Richland @1962 |
![]() |
| My mom and dad This was taken in Amarillo Texas @1972 |
![]() |
| My mom and dad sporting our Giberson reunion t-shirts from 1994 That was the last reunion my mother attended. |
Like all moms, my mom worked hard for our family, She cooked (which she didn't like), she cleaned (which was a huge undertaking with 8 kids), she sewed most of our clothes when I was young, and she managed the organization of 8 kids, one husband, and demanding Church assignments for both of them. She was extraordinary as a woman. She made life happy for us, she loved flowers, she loved books and music, she kept a journal. She was a friend to all and I never remember her saying bad things about anyone. She was always willing to extend the benefit of the doubt. Most of all she loved God and understood her place with him. I remember six months after she had a life saving heart transplant hearing her stand and bear her testimony and saying, "I have been so blessed in my life. I have not had many of the difficult trials which others deal with." I actually didn't think anything about it until the next sister stood up and said something to the affect that if Eileen didn't think 10 years of congestive heart failure and being away from her family for four months for a heart transplant was a trial, we all better stop feeling sorry for ourselves and get busy. That was my mom. Her impact on all who knew her was upbeat, positive, and loving. I saw a quote which fit her recently. It goes something like this: Don't live your life so that everyone knows you're here. Live it so that they will miss you when you are gone. That fits her well. She is missed, in some ways more now than right after she died. It has been over 18 years (now 25 years).
But this post isn't really about my mom (although it is good to put some pictures of her in here for future generations), but it is about the "traces of her" which I have found physically within my own house. I have noticed over the years how many of the things I choose for my house are related in some way to my mother. They remind me of her, they remind me of home, and they remind me of mothering and love. Some are possessions of hers, some are things I did on purpose because of her and others were just accidents.................but whatever the reasons I found her touch throughout my house where she has never been and it is a reflection of the major influence she had as my mom in making me who I am today (even though in many ways I am included in the group of siblings who "take after my dad the most).
Traces----
![]() |
| These are some mystery books of my Mom's. She and I both loved mystery books as young girls and I love having these treasured books of hers. |
![]() |
| My mom's streamer chest which she took her stuff to BYU. (I didn't take my stuff to BYU in it.) |
![]() |
| In Richland, we had tiger lilies out our kitchen door. Here are some I planted in Syracuse as a reminder of that. |
![]() |
| My mom did love pigs and upon her death we each took a couple of pigs. These are from her collection. She painted the white piggy bank. |
![]() |
| My mom taught me to love to swing. And so we must have swings. Jena loves to swing as well. |
I love my mom and just like my home, my heart and mind are filled with her memory. I so wish that my children could have known her and loved her personally, too. She loved them so much and prayed for them. She died before Jena was born, but I feel a calm peace that she knew and loved Jena before we did.
Happy Mother's Day, mom. And thanks for everything!






















No comments:
Post a Comment