![]() |
| This is Grandma and Grandpa Owen with Ed Owen, our cousin. |
Valerie posted this photo on her grandmother blog and shared her earliest memory which occurred in this house. Just seeing this photo brought some many memories for me that I thought we should post it here as a reminder to all of us. Post your comments and memories from this house!
I wrote this as a comment on Valerie's blog. What do you remember?
"Grandma and Grandpa lived in the bottom floor of this house and that also included the basement. It was a dark and scary basement which often had drying walnuts in circles on the floor. The bathroom had a old-fashion claw foot tub which was awesome. One unique feature of the house was that there was a hallway which ran from the kitchen/gathering area of the house to the end where there was an amazing library (at least to me) and the two (or was there three) bedrooms and bathroom could be accessed from the hall. But my distant memories also believe that there were doors between the bedrooms and the bathroom so you could access the rooms from different doors--and it made like a loop."
Other things that I remember from this house were the patch of roses near the front of the property. I remember them as two rows of somewhat wild roses which is still my favorite style of roses now. One of my earliest memories was driving up the dirt driveway and seeing Grandpa and Grandma waiting on the porch for us to arrive. As a child, I assumed they had been waiting all day for us although I am sure they heard us on the dirt road.
Grandma used a wood burning stove which seemed big to me then. The house had a butler's pantry, a large walk-in pantry inside the door that I have always wanted in my own houses.
In the corner of the dining/family room was a big round table where we would eat amazing food that Grandma made.
I can remember sleeping with Grandma a couple of times when we stayed there.
There was a sidewalk that went around the whole house and there was a stairwell that went up to another apartment on the second floor. I don't remember ever seeing anyone there, but the older cousins always scared us by telling us that we had to run fast down that sidewalk or "they" might get us.
To me, this is Grandma's house and I have very few memories of the other houses she lived in. I can remember once we drove by and the house was still there and I felt cheated that my grandma didn't still live in her Grandma house.

No comments:
Post a Comment