See following post, then write your own comment or post about Giberson summer memories:
Summer Vacations: (Just to trigger those minds in "the back row.). I can remember the following trips:
Trips to Portland: Hilllsboro to visit Grandma and the cousins. This was usually each summer for about a week. There were some Thanksgiving trips to Oregon and I think Mom said one try at a Christmas visit (Dad, was that the year our station wagon right into the mountain on the side of the road during a snow storm. Uncle Bob came and got us. There was also the trip in which we were actually heading from Portland down to California and we lost our suitcases off the car. We stayed in Portland an extra day and had to buy new clothes for me and others whose clothes were lost. I had never bought so many new clothes at one time. I remember thinking that was good luck for us, I didn't like it when Grandma started moving apartments. To me, the house on Wielder street (however you spell that) still is the house when I think about Grandma's house. I also have a few very brief memories of Grandpa Owen there.
California trips: One when I was 5 and we went to Disneyland (this is the famous "flood the hotel incident"), trip to San Jose and Yosemite Park--the bears, and our long trip when I was 12 and we went down the coast to San Diego, over to Yuma, up to Page and the Grand Canyon, then to Zion's (extra day of fun there), then a visit to BYU campus, a stop in Sunset at the Allen and Nora Stephens's house, then lost through Idaho on the way home, That was our longest trip. It might have been almost 3 weeks long.
Short trips: Laman Hot Springs, the camping place with the long grass hill to roll down and a lagoon to swim in, Mt. Rainer camping (and freezing!)
Canada trip when I was 14: I wrote about that trip in my birthday post.
This should start the memories, Post about what memories you have about summer vacations!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
#52 Stories- Week Four
Prompts: 1. Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood. Judy: The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get...
-
In memory of the Longhorns, I'll post this banner... This is just a sampling of the many Gibersons that gathered in Austin...
-
I have to admit that I didn't even think about my birthday post until Valerie left a message offering to do it "since I probably di...
-
I pitched my book to an agent from a very well-known agency (at least I think it is) last weekend at a writers conference I attended in Phoe...
1 comment:
For starters I would suggest the children (can I still call you that at your ages?) re-read Three Mothers. I do discuss vacations there. We rarely (if ever) went to Portland at Christmas time. We frequently went at Thanksgiving time. The incident of the car/ice/perpendiculartothemountain/Bob rescue was a Thanksgiving trip. We liked to go that time of year, so we could shop for Christmas in the Lloyd Center!
One trip to California we lost a borrowed tent off the top of our car coming down from a mountain top camp out in the East Bay from San Francisco.
The really long trip you mentioned we brought Jeannie Call back with us.
One of the interesting (to me) return trips from San Diego was when we got on highway 395 and took it all the way home!
Post a Comment