Week One Prompts:
1. Earliest Childhood Memories
2. Foods you remember from our childhood and a story connected with food.
3. Things you connect with your childhood home....Longfitt, Agnes or Carlton. (or your own childhood home for the grandchildren and great grandchildren.)
Earliest Childhood Memories
- I have a single memory (or so I suppose) of our house on Agnes Street in Richland. I see the wood steps down to the basement, and the basement is mostly dark. Some of my older siblings have set up some sort of “spook alley” there, or maybe it is more like a challenge course. There is a laundry basket rigged such that if you trip a rope it dumps some (soft) contents on you. As you make a loop around the rest of the basement there are other obstacles to overcome. I thought this was a pretty cool thing they did and I enjoyed getting to experience it.
- The family was staying at a hotel/motel in Amarillo (maybe Howard Johnson’s?). Presumably this was when we first moved to Amarillo and couldn’t yet get into our house. If so, I would have been 4-1/2 years old. I’m pretty sure we had two adjoining rooms. I had some colorful plastic men to play with, about 3” tall – I think they were football players. I got in Mom’s purse for something, and I saw one of those medicine capsules that had the tiny colored balls visible through half of the capsule. Maybe I thought it looked like candy. In any case, I managed to break open the capsule, but the little balls of medicine spilled all over, maybe in her purse.
I consider it my earliest memory but I don't know how old I was, and it's not
really that specific. Like if I said, Remember when we ate ice cream cones at
Grandma's big house my siblings might say, Um, sure. We probably did that.
Recently I was looking at family photos on FamilySearch.org and
was in the Memories section for Grandma Owen and discovered a picture of her in
front of a house.
A big house. This was the house in my memory!
+if you scroll down a bit to earlier posts, you'll see a photo of the house and a detailed description from Judy+
Judy: Mom did not like to cook. She told us that frequently and I grew up just like her, in that one way, at least. Despite that, I can remember many of the great things that she made that I love. I hope someday to be able to eat at her table again.
My favorites: Spaghetti; Macaroni and Cheese—oven baked not Mac and Chesse; Rogo; Fried chicken; her bread and scones—although when I was little, I did sometimes wish we had “white bread” from the store for our school lunches. Kids are silly like that; homemade pizza, chocolate chip cookies, and her pies. Of course, her cherry pie was my personal favorite and I had it whenever I could for my birthday. And I loved when she had extra pie crust leftover and would put cinnamon sugar on them and cook them in the oven right as we got home from school. LOVED IT! I also remember the glass candy she made every Christmas which we passed out to people. However, I personally was never a big fan of that. It certainly is a food memory, however.
When I told Gary the topics for the week, he immediately said that I needed to write the story about the chocolate chip cookies and Todd. So here it is:
“When I was in third grade, Todd and I happened to be walking up to our house on Agnes Street after school at the same time. About the time we got into our yard, Todd said, “Mom has made us chocolate chip cookies for snack.” I said,” Oh, did she tell you that she was going to make cookies today?” He gave me a strange look and said, “No, can’t you smell them?” No, actually, I couldn’t smell them. That was the first time that I figured out that I wasn’t smelling things like other people did. Perhaps I had noticed that before, but I don’t remember knowing that before this moment. We spent some time smelling cookies—which were waiting inside for us plus smelling other things
around the house. Nope, I couldn’t smell them! In my lifetime, there are random times when I have a bad smell that might last a day or two, but I can’t identify any smells and really can’t smell things, even dirty diapers which I hear can be terrible.
Turns out that 10-15% of the world have problems with smelling. It is called Anosmia. It is sometimes caused by accidents breaking your nose, but I never broke my nose so we think I was just born this way.
All of my children went through a phase where they tried to “teach” me how to smell by putting different things under my nose and instructing me to “just sniff it.” So far, just Scarlett has tried to do that, but they find it interesting that I don’t smell things.
Todd: Sometime while we lived in the Carlton house, the kitchen stove developed an electrical short. Between the time the short developed and the time when it was corrected, you just had to be careful NOT to be touching the stove and the adjacent refrigerator at the same time, or else you would receive a not-so-nice shock. One evening a large pot of spaghetti had been prepared for supper (amounts were always large, of course) and I went to bring it from the stove to the table. Somehow I brushed against the refrigerator after grabbing the pot of spaghetti. With the jolt I received, I jerked the whole pot of spaghetti onto the kitchen floor. I'm not sure what we ended up eating that day for supper. (Editor note: I thought you told us years later that you scooped it up and served it to us anyway because no one had seen it fall. )
Valerie: My favorite food from my childhood is probably spaghetti. But, apparently, not just any spaghetti. I found this out when I turned eight. Dad and Mom took me out to dinner as was the tradition, and when they asked what I wanted I said spaghetti, because, you know, it was my favorite. We went to some hole in the wall Italian place (this is well before Olive Garden). When my order arrived it looked like spaghetti except there were these huge meatballs on top. That’s not how Mom made it. It certainly did not taste the same either. I don’t remember eating much of it. Then we went to see Swiss Family Robinson*, a whole movie about a family living off the land. They probably would have been appreciative of that spaghetti.
*I Googled the movie and it came out in 1960. I turned eight in 1969. Seeing this movie with Mom and Dad has always been part of my memory but maybe I’m wrong or the theater showed previously released movies sometimes.
Things You Connect With Your Childhood Home:
Longfitt, Agnes or Carlton
Judy: Longfitt is the first house I remember although all three of these houses have many memories connected to them. I think that is one of the benefits of being the oldest. Our house was a prefab house built in a city of mostly prefab houses at that time due to the rapid increase in population in the 1940s and 1950s to support the growth of Hanford and related industries.
It has three tiny bedrooms, a bathroom with only a shower (I think), and a small living and dining area, a little kitchen and I think a small closet or storage area in the back of the house. Here is the floor plan that I found online which is as I remember it. Robin and I had bunkbeds in bedroom #1, Todd, Mike, and Valerie slept in bedroom #2—the crib was tucked into that space between the closets. Mom and Dad were in #3. In our kitchen, mom had an old fashion washing machine that you had to roll the clothes through to wring them out before you put them on the clothesline. It was here that I put my right hand through the wring which left a scar which you can still barely see on the back of my hand. That scar was how I learned which hand was my right hand.
Valerie: Agnes Street
Agnes Street: playing records on the record player and singing and dancing to our favorites, getting the piano, reading books from the library, playing dodge ball in the backyard, playing with Matchbox cars in a hole in the ground behind the garage, learning to skate in the basement, Mom sewing, the rough, rocky surface of Agnes Street, playing with Molly and other neighborhood friends, our phone number 939-9039 (Am I remembering it right?), the lilac bush outside our back door (I think), tumbleweeds, the Shelter Belt and getting in trouble for going out past the Shelter Belt, being excited about the “Mosquito Man” coming, Jim Sloman, Jerry the mailman delivering the mail on a snowmobile on a snowy day, the excitement of Christmas Eve, watching The Brady Bunch, The Partridge Family, The Monkees, Perry Mason, Star Trek, Batman, and other shows . . .
Personal Choice
Robin: Not very long ago, I was talking to Dad, He was wondering where was he when I had this incident with getting stitches in my right arm were the wrists are located. Here is the story: When I was in the third grade, I remember that Mom was always telling us not to run in the house on the way to go outside. (Editor's note--Our home on Agnes Street in Richland.) The front door had a screen door in front of it. Needless to say that, not giving the proper response to Mom's words, my right hand went right through the glass of that door. Dad was asking me when did this happen. I provided with the story. My 3 grade class had signed their names on a Snoopy dog, the stuffed Snoopy dog came with a pen. Dad said He must of been at work, when I had the incident with the screen door, it was more glass in that door than screen! That is all from daughter #2 love Robin (Editor's note: I am sure he was at work, because I remember babysitting while mom went to the ER with you---I am not sure how you got there, because we often didn't have a car at home.)
No comments:
Post a Comment