February update:
Scotty turned 13, so now I guess he can waltz into PG-13 movies with or without parental guidance. He experienced somewhat of an “unplugged” month. Both his XBOX and his cell phone broke down and as things go, we were not able to get things repaired or replaced quickly so he spent less time playing video games and more time at the park with friends and doing things like playing basketball … he has been a good sport about it and hopefully realized that there is a life outside of his room (in all fairness, he generally keeps a balance between video games and other activities; it’s just that for the past 6 weeks or so the pendulum swung far in the other direction due to the circumstances described above). Scotty’s basketball team finished up with a 12-5 record and got 4th in the district (out of 10+ teams). A successful season. Scotty continues to develop his skills and had some good moments during the season. I think his high point total for a game was 10. He got plenty of rebounds and was a defensive stopper at times. Averaged 2-3 blocks per game. While Scotty is pushing 6’1”, Scotty ran into a team that had 2 post players taller and more skilled than him. One is almost 6’4” and the other is about 6’2”. Scotty’s team didn’t have to play them all year until the last 2 games. One in a tournament championship and then the final game of the year. That team was undefeated and was beating teams by 40+ points. While we didn’t beat them, we did improve from the first meeting to the second. First meeting ended 83-45. Second meeting we kept it closer and it ended up 51-36. Scotty has now started track. He has had 1 meet and he won his 300 m hurdle event. Yeah!!!! Sandy and I were so proud and we did the whole running inside the track sort of alongside him screaming. He also did the high jump and discuss. We will see what happens. School-wise, he continues to do well. Teachers appreciate his participation and his good behavior. In the very rare instance that a teacher comments that he is “talking a bit much during class”, Sandy will come down on Scotty reminding him of “how to behave”, etc., while I give him the pat on the back, advising him not to get out of hand, but smiling slightly because I’m glad to hear that he is enjoying the interaction with others and isn’t “too robotic” at school. Maybe in those instances he reminds me of myself in some of my school days.
Ashley got a good job as a medical assistant at a neurologist office. It’s a far drive from home and she is currently without a car, so it requires us to be creative in our commuting. Fortunately, I am in a position where I can be fairly creative as long as things get done. We are glad for Ashley as she needs this type of structure and needs a good income right now. She has gotten herself into troubles here and there, so she needs to take care of some obligations before she can save up for that car and apartment (again and again).
Sandy and I continue to “do what we do”. Work, home, family and work. Sandy is enjoying her class of students as she usually does. We go through our ups and downs and try to make it through somehow. I’ve been busy at work. Spent a few days at the Hyatt Lost Pines resort outside of Bastrop at a client event that we host each year. I presented on all the exciting happenings in the world of regulatory compliance. Thrilling. This resort could be a nice location for a future family reunion if we decided to go a more expensive route (not that I’m recommending it). You can check it out on the internet. My compliance gig will take me on the road again in April traveling out to Scottsdale for our industry conference (as I have done for the past few years). Valerie, lock away the fine china as I may be coming to your place again!
Judy, did you say “1-2 lines”???? Uh, feel free to pick your favorites lines from the options above.
Sorry about that …
Take care everyone. Love you all.
1 comment:
Now I feel in the loop with some of my Texas relatives!
Post a Comment