How many of my grandkids no they have a "famous Name" grandfather? (Actually on both sides, but someone else can pursue Benjamin Franklin). What I want to bring up here is Daniel Webster . . . Giberson. I've never really been satisfied that we have identified his parents. For those who might not know, like some of my grandkids, DWG was my grandfather, so that would make him a couple of "greats" to them. At any rate, I am "working" from 11:30-2:30 each Friday at our local genealogy library and decided today to chase DW. Found this interesting bit of information, in the Census of 1900 (or maybe it was 1910?) he listed as having his parents born in NEW YORK! Now we know he was born in Canada, in 1840. The 1860 NY census lists a DW Giberson, 20 years old, with also a James Giberson who is 24 at the time. Bingo! I find in a Canadian census a family with a James, and Daniel sons 4 years apart of the appropriate age!
Apparently the parents headed to Canada some time from New York, had some kids up there and some of the kids came back to New York some 20 years later. Parents a William and Mary Giberson. Maybe we are getting closer . . .
2 comments:
That sounds familiar. I remember looking at a lot of censuses, but they probably didn't have the 1910 out yet when I was searching. I think you're on to something there!
Where in Canada did you find the young James and Daniel?
Good. I remember for the longest time we had penciled in a William Giberson and Mahala Rightmeyer ... until it was determined that this couple did not have a child named Daniel (from data obtained from Linn Co., Iowa, where this William had moved in his old age.)
This new data sounds like we could be on the right track.
Post a Comment