Thursday, October 20, 2011

In memory of Mom

.....and fill in the blank with the memories you thought of as you noted today was the 19th of October. A day specifically set aside to remember Mom within the busyness of life. I had a meeting tonight in preparation for a stake workshop I have been asked to give on "Meaningful Traditions that bind us together." Thinking of traditions brings lots of memories of Mom to the forefront so it was fun to be able to talk about her in the midst of our planning meeting.

I read Mom's journal entry for her 60th birthday. Other years she would mention us by name for sending a card or calling. This time none of us were mentioned but she did say she had received lots of cards this year, including one from Dad which he made "with his new graphics on the computer." The day after her birthday she went visiting teaching and the sister gave her a vase of iris and daisies. She noted that she is "especially fond of iris" and it wasn't the season for them. "The Richards family does the most incredible things." I am glad that was a happy birthday for her.







I believe this was when they were dating--not sure.







This picture and the family photos were taken in our house
as part of a YW/YM fund raiser.







Family pictures at Aunt Lois--so glad that Mom
made this happen. It is something that
we do as well.







As you know, Mom had a big collection.







They got to share Hong Kong with us but couldn't go
into China on this route.

Happy Birthday, Mom!



Sidenote: (Feel free to skip. Just interesting in a detail sort of way)

On the title page of this her last early journal (I assume she is still writing up in the spirit world), she had the following things:



top corner--quote cut from a magazine

The moment for calm and rational discussion is past; now is the time for senseless bickering.



Then a stamp of "The Big Bad Wolf" with "This book belongs to Eileen Giberson"

her name is hand written



another quote: "I can't die: it would wreck my imagine" by Jack LaLanne

Remember Mom exercising with him!



another stamp with two little pigs



Date: November 3, 1993-



and a stamp of a fairy tale castle in the bottom corner.





Mom made it to the real fairy tale castle with our Heavenly Parents.

And I am sure she still likes pigs, and story books, wild flowers, and eveything else she loved here.

She is the same as she was but full of health with work to do.

Happy Birthday from all of us.

1 comment:

The Neerings Family said...

I think Grandma would be proud of my book collection that is somewhere in the 700-800 range!

#52 Stories- Week Four

 Prompts: 1.  Tell a story about a toy you remember from your childhood. Judy:  The toy I first thought of was the toy doll I didn't get...