![]() |
| This picture was one that was in our Grandma Owen's and other relatives' homes for years. |
Whatever you call him-- it is "Happy Birthday to Uncle Mike day." Back in the day (meaning when we were all little), nicknames like Mickey were very common especially in grade school and younger. And although Michael was a very typical name back then, I don't think I knew anyone then who was actually called Michael. Mom said that Michael was a name that she had always liked and Allen sounded good with it. I think "Allen" was also in vogue at the time. Anyway, I can remember "Mickey" coming home from school (I think it was first or second grade) and saying that he was now only going by "Mike" and he was determined about it. It seemed like he would completely ignore us if we called him Mickey and we quickly adjusted to it. Over the years, I think he has been called by any of those three names, but I think to the nieces and nephews he has always been "Uncle Mike".
Mike was the third of the eight children and arrived just two days less than a year after Todd was born (and considering that I was only 27 months old at the time, things were a bit crazy for Grandma and Grandpa Giberson). Grandma Giberson often said that she was not planning to get pregnant so soon so she was grouchy the entire time. Then Mike turned out to be the sweetest and nicest baby (don't know what that implied about Todd and I!). She said she must have scared him so much, he decided just to be nice. And he still is.
![]() |
| Mike is the one perched up on a stool. |
Mike and Andrea live in Lubbock, Texas, with Kyle. Will is going to Virginia Tech and Lisa and Paul (Audrey and Owen) and Paul and Randee (Jay and ? and ?) all live in the Mesa area. Mike is an assistant professor of practice in Energy Commerce at Texas Tech which is where Mike got is BS degree. He got his advanced degree from George Mason University. He met Andrea while attending George Mason University. They have been married almost 16 years if my math is correct.
| From Giberson Reunion in 2009 |
Mike likes....economics (big surprise). He puts a lot of links on his face book page to economics articles and media. In talking to Mike, he mentioned that he does that mainly for his students. I was always wishing I had time to read many of the things he posts and was thinking he must have a group of very bright and dedicated friends who did take the time to read that interesting stuff. He also has a blog where he writes about economics. It is http://www.knowledgeproblem.com/. Check it out.
In addition, Mike likes New Orleans music which includes jazz, blues, and rock and roll. A band he likes currently is Bonerama. He enjoys New Orleans so much that he has begun rooting for the Saints in recent years in football even though the Redskins are still their family favorite.
His favorites:
Color- green
Food (home)-- If he is cooking it is usually pasta or an omelet (I actually didn't know Mike cooked.) If Andrea is cooking it is trying whatever new recipe that she has prepared. A recent one that he liked was---"sweet potato stew".
Eating out--(the two places they ate at this weekend for his birthday) Nora’s-- a Mexican restaurant for breakfast and then Triple J's for green chili burgers. Gary and I had Thai food with them once in Virginia which was excellent so I would guess if you were ever in Lubbock you would be happy with the food at these restaurants.
Movie -"Grand Torino" the recent Clint Eastwood movie. And if you are looking for a great economic documentary, he suggests "Power Trip". It sounds very interesting, but I am not sure if you can order it on Net Fix.
TV show- "House"
Professional/college sport teams-- Texas Tech/Virginia tech, Redskins and Saints, George Mason for basketball. (You will have to ask him his favorite sport. I forgot to ask as we moved right into his list of teams.)
Snack food- granola or cereal bars
Vacation spot- banks of the northern Carolina coast (and Mesa grandchildren, too)
Games- depends if you are talking about computer, PS3 games or "real time"- FIna Soccer 2012 and scrabble and card games of many kinds
Something you are planning to do this year (before your next birthday) --Go to Phoenix.
A Giberson memory --Our big vacation to California/AZ/Utah in 1967; growing up in Richland and not really knowing what a unique place it was until he was much older.
| Taking a picture of Mike taking a picture of the nieces and nephews chasing down rockets. |
He reported that he was a good birthday weekend, but if you forgot....call and wish him Happy Birthday, too.
(I actually had the text of this post done and posted on his birthday. However this morning when I went to add pictures, I realized that I had posted it on my hifromsyracuse. blog. So now it is done and in the right spot.)



2 comments:
Mickey, Mike, or Michael... and add to that that I also remember using the nickname "Mick".
My kiddos have the same nose and chin as my dad in that first picture!
Post a Comment